Friday, January 28, 2011

I Fucking Hate Blogs

I haven't blogged since the fateful days of xanga and I never thought I would again.  Blogging, like Twitter and FourSquare, is something I find completely heinous and pathetic, except here I am, making a blog for when I go abroad to Leuven, Belgium.  Hypocritical, I know.  I'm not planning on telling family members about this because I don't think they would really appreciate hearing about my belligerence in Europe... the purpose of this blog will be to provide amusing stories (most likely under the influence of some alcohol or drug).  No idea if I'll actually write in this or not, but when I do, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.  I don't care about what people do every second of the day so I'll cut that shit and try to just leave the funny stuff, observations, and random thoughts I have while traveling Europe.  No guarantees this'll actually be funny, sometimes what I think is funny is just me being an asshole.

I figured beer was the most appropriate background since I'll be living in one of the beer capitals of the world.  I spent way too long contemplating a title for this thing that didn't make me sound gay, instead I ripped off the title of a movie I've never even seen before, suck my dick.

I'll answer the question "Sarah, why did you pick Belgium?" I've only heard that about 20 times, because Belgium usually isn't the answer that people expect to hear.  Here's my top 8 reasons why I chose to study abroad in Leuven.

1. The classes are easy.  I actually spent a lot of time researching where I wanted to go by reading those binders in the study abroad office... the ones where students that have gone on past programs write up a little sheet with a brief summary of everything.  Belgium sounds like a joke.  There is never any homework, and the only grades are the final grades at the end of the semester, which is a 20 minute oral exam that you can easily bullshit to the professor.  Most of the Belgians don't go to class, which probably means I won't either.
2. The Katholieke Universiteit is the oldest Catholic University in the world.
3. The program is a month longer than most programs.  I start late, but I end really late... as in July 6th.  I have a whole five months there whereas most other programs are four months.
4. Beer. Chocolate. Waffles. Fries.  I might gain 50 pounds, but at least it'll be worth it.
5. The town I'm in, Leuven, is 20 minutes from the capital, Brussels.  Leuven is awesome because it's a college town and has a big bar scene.  People ride bikes all the fuckin time and it's just students, everywhere.
6. I wanted to go to a foreign city by myself.  That sounds strange, and I don't mean to sound like antisocial Annie here, but I'm excited to be independent, make new friends, all that gay stuff.  Don't get me wrong, studying abroad with a friend/group of friends would be just as amazing as an experience, but it's definitely a different experience.  I didn't let being by myself factor in too much when I finally decided on Belgium. There's 3 other U of I kids going with me, I don't know them too well, but they seem cool.
7. It's really easy to travel out of.  I'm 20 minutes from an airport, centrally located in Europe, and I'm an 1 hour and 20 minute train ride from Paris and Amsterdam (which I'll be frequenting...stories to come)
8. Most importantly, it's fucking cheap.  The total cost of my program, everything included is about  $8,000.  I was looking into Copenhagen and Prague and those programs costed over $20,000.  More money saved = more money for traveling and happier parents.


I leave February 6th and the date couldn't come faster.  I'm running out of Dexter episodes to watch and no one goes grocery shopping in this house.  I'm too lazy and stupid to do it myself.

Sorry for the length, they'll be shorter in the future.

2 comments:

  1. i think i love you.

    i miss you like crazy bitchhhhhh

    i think i'll check into your blog on 4square.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete